This famous city of Goa stands 13 kms away from Panaji. Mapusa is clustered around the Mount Alto . It is the hub of north Goa with a number of residential and commercial establishments. Mapusa is best famous for its Friday Bazaar when all the local folks gather there to buy and sell wares.
A Dutch Chronicler, who even described it as the "Bazaar Grande", first heard Mapusa market in the 1580. The festival of God Kanakeshwar Baba attracted large crowds to the place thus making the Mapusa market famous, which needed pots and oil lamps as offerings to propitiate the Gods. All sorts of goods from the kitchen to the drawing room are available here at a very cheap price.
Margao lies on National Highway 17, at the junction of the South Central Railway and the Konkan RailwayMargao is Goa 's market town. It has been Goa 's commercial capital for over a century. Margao is the capital of Salcete Province . It is situated in the southern part of Goa . Margao is better known for its huge population. The old Margao church is worth a visit and the covered market is the best of its kind in the whole of Goa . A visit to the small village of Raia , about 3 km away, and the Rachol Seminary and Church is a must.
Old Goa popular for its churches and cathedrals is situated at a distance of 9 km from the East of Panjim the capital of the state. It was the second capital of the Adil Shahi dynasty of Bijapur before the arrival of the Portuguese. Under the Portuguese, the city grew rapidly in size and splendor. But it was short-lived because by the end of the 16th century. That of the British, French & Dutch, had replaced Portuguese supremacy on the seas. In 1843, the capital was shifted to Panaji. Old Goa is the spiritual heart of Christian Goa. It has been granted World Heritage Status by UNESCO for its extraordinarily grandiose churches & convents.
Ponda can be said as the city of Hindu pilgrimages. It is the house of the temples of Lord Mangesh (Shiva), Lord Nagesh, Lord Ganapati, Lord Ramnath and the Goddesses Mahalasa and Shantdurga.When Portuguese arrived in Goa they destroyed every temples and mosques to show their power and capture the whole city. As a result, temples in Goa are generally set back from the coast and comparatively new, although some date back about 400 years. The temples near Ponda have been rebuilt from originals destroyed by the Portuguese, and their lamp towers are a distinctive Goan feature.
Panjim, the capital of Goa better known as seat of the government. It is the heart of all business concerns. Panjim is also known as Panaji and is one of the India 's smallest and most pleasant state capitals and is located on the south bank of the wide Mandovi River . The charm of Panaji is a very small city, and has little scope for growth as it is bordered by Altinho (a hillock), on one side, the Arabian Sea on the other Mandovi River on the third side, and Ourem Creek on the fourth so the city will always retain its charm and beauty.
This city is named after the inventor Vasco-de-Gama. It is popularly known as Vasco.This city is located almost 30 kms away from the capital city Panjim.Vasco-de-game was invented in the year of 1543. This strategically important site was formerly among the busiest ports on India 's west coast, and it remains a key-shipping center, with container vessels and iron-ore barges clogging the choppy river mouth